- In a medium-hot 12″ sauté pan, sauté onions, celery, and garlic until softened with olive oil.
- Add diced eggplant and zucchini and sauté until lightly browned but not mushy.
- Add additional oil as needed to prevent sticking otherwise the vegetables may tear.
- While vegetables are cooking, combine vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan and reduce by half over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove all vegetables from heat and set aside in a large bowl.
- While vegetables are still warm, stir in Hatch peppers, olives, and capers.
- Pour the vinegar and sugar mixture over the vegetable mixture and toss to coat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chopped parsley just before serving.
Serve caponata at room temperature. Store in the refrigerator. Use as a topping on sandwiches or burgers, or as a bruschetta topping or part of a crudité tray.